July 09, 2011

Witness Protection

June 29, 2010

I am in a situation which in my mind is similar to a witness protection program. In Canada I have no  documented history. No credit. No driving record. No network, and apparently, no work references. It’s like I’m 18 again, except with less potential this time.

I am one phone call away from being employed again, and the only thing stopping me is that someone who offered to be a reference for me a year ago today referred the caller to human resources instead. That’s it; with that one small decision, my fate next week and indeed for the foreseeable while, hangs in the balance.

It occurs to me that there is an expiration date on good work. If you did it for a little while, but not recently enough, it will not be enough.

I feel sick to my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment