February 26, 2012

You're Over-thinking It: Babies

When I was still living in Canada, a friend of mine told me that she thinks I'm over-thinking babies.  She is very direct, a quality which I appreciate, and she did not say it until after I mentioned that in spite of all of my lifelong, practical reasons for thinking that I probably wouldn't procreate, I've been occasionally having a fleeting, less logical, sure-of-course-why-wouldn't-we feeling about at least being open to it.

Here are things that scare me about it: the health ramifications of pregnancy, including the effect on my cluster headache condition; giving up much significant amounts of sleep for several of the ensuing years after the birth, how to educate a child, the fact that I don't like to play and that I'm terrible at being silly, the fact that I often fail to choose healthy food when feeling taxed or swamped in the middle of a long week, taking responsibility for a little person, never fitting back into my favorite clothes (I know that's kind of lame), saving enough money for our own future, along with hopefully providing backup security for said little person...the list is long.

However, in the course of working to embrace optimism in these last couple of years, I'm forced to admit that procreation is perhaps one of the most optimistic things a person can do.  To purposefully bring life into the world is to admit that you think the world has a chance, that it's not going down in flames; or at the very least, if it is, that there is still something that can be done about it.  Since both my husband and I generally believe that the world is a house of cards and the humans are generally a flawed-and-therefore-doomed species, it makes sense that we find procreation suspect.

And yet, lately it pops into my head...it might be fun!  We might turn out to be great parents!  Maybe our child wouldn't be annoying!  Hmmm.  There is really no good reason, on paper, to have children.  But still, after I woke up from a little surgery I had last week, the first thing I said was that I wanted to have a baby.  Do I blame the drugs?  Or was that a moment of singular clarity?

So many hurdles face us if we meander down that road.  No privately purchased health insurance in Texas offers maternity coverage (even for emergencies during delivery or anything), so I would have to move home for at least a trimester, without my husband.  There is the head condition, which involves medication that cannot be taken during pregnancy.  There would potentially have to be a move, since our current home is wildly child-unfriendly.  The same could be said of our car situation, although I care less about that, since I usually make fun of people who think that they need different cars because they had children.  Also, we would give birth to a Texan, another sort of emotional challenge.

But still, why not?  At least, that's what I think this week.

3 comments:

  1. I also have many anxieties about having a little person, but I will unabashedly endorse you and the mister having one because I want to play with it and be a doting auntie!! Also, so much cuteness! And I am a slave to cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think you're vastly over-thinking this question. Having a child is an expression of the love you have for your partner and the desire to have that love live after you're gone. Raising children in your beliefs and the image of each other means that what is important to you will live on. Your husband's image, beliefs, knowledge, wisdom, and love will have a chance to live and grow even after you're not around, and he would/should say the same about you. The child is not about you or him but about the love you have for each other and the desire for that love to endure and grow. There is never a good time financially or time-wise for children, but the love you feel for your spouse through your children make those concerns insignificant and give your life new meaning.

    PaG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's brilliant! I miss you... :) Hilary

    ReplyDelete