November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  It is an unambiguous time of celebration and gratitude, with no confusing mixed messages about religion or materialism, or patriotism wrapped in scary truth-about-history stories.

Our Thanksgiving was relaxing and lovely, an excellent respite from the moving madness of November.  Our belongings are safely in the truck, and we spent Thanksgiving reunited, in Minnesota.  The champagne was delicious and our feast of turkey and gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, green beans, stuffing and corn casserole tasted like the best thanksgiving meal I've ever enjoyed.  Since it's my 34th one, that seems extreme, but that's how I felt.

We have arrived in Texas with the cat, and it feels strange to suddenly be here.  The Texas chapter officially begins on Wednesday, when the movers unload our belongings into our new place.  I'm curious what else I might that I like about being here.

I've been feeling so lucky lately, like we won some kind of life lottery.  I have much for which to be thankful, including my husband's new job and suddenly increased accessibility to friends and family.  In particular though, a few important people have made this transition to our next stage even more magical, and this month would have been much harder without them.  Special shout-outs of gratitude go to Mom and Dad for cat-sitting all month; to my aunt and uncle in Minneapolis, for airport rides and comfy accommodations during transitions; to friends of our family, who got me affordable flights to and from Calgary when our plans had to change, and to our friends in Texas, who not only hosted us during house-hunting, but now are hosting us again while we wait to get the keys to our new home.





No comments:

Post a Comment