July 25, 2011

Sew By Hand

I was planning to write about work, because I've been working much more in the last couple weeks (still in a temporary, free-agent capacity), and my brain is busy with reactions to it, pros/cons, hopes, fears...but when I started typing, this is what happened:

REASONS WHY I PREFER SEWING BY HAND TO USING MY MACHINE
  • You can operate your needle while drinking champagne, but using the machine while under the influence is not advisable
  • Hand-sewing travels well (you just have to use fingernail clippers instead of scissors if you're going through airport security)
  • More time is spent stitching, but less time is spent ripping (which is the way I like to roll)
  • Less ripping of stitches = less wasted thread
  • No fossil fuel is required in the assembly of the garment
  • Stitching by hand goes nicely with talking, in person or even by Skype


This list mostly holds true for knitting, as well.  Right now, however, none of the ideas on the list pertain to work, so I need to mull that over.

In the meantime, here is a picture of what I was making when I learned that I really like to sew by hand.  It was designed by Alabama Chanin, but every stitch was sewn by me.


1 comment: