July 05, 2012

The United States of Chili

Sometimes when I am stumped, I cook.  This week feels like one of those weeks.  Fresh fruit, herbs and veggies are bursting out of displays at the grocery store and I can't resist, even though I don't know how I am going to eat everything I bought.

To celebrate the Fourth of July, I did the most patriotic thing I could think of, which was to go shopping and buy stuff I don't need.  Today, I spent some time thinking about our nation while I made a dinner influenced by at least three states.  I cooked chili using a recipe shared by a restaurant in Minneapolis, served it in a bowl made by a potter in Missouri, and washed it down with a Texan beer.





It was my first time with this recipe, and it was pretty good.  I especially liked that there is chocolate in it.  However, the most delicious part of the day was actually a fresh fruit juice I made this afternoon to use up some raspberries.  I threw the raspberries, fresh watermelon, the juice from two limes, a splash of simple syrup, and a little handful of mint leaves into a blender with ice and it was delicious.  

Happy 4th, and 5th.  Stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment