April 07, 2012

New Dress, Plain and Simple


I've been working on this pattern on and off for several months.  In my mind, it was destined to be a nightshirt.  But after I slept in the original one, made from a light cotton woven fabric, it felt like too much, especially here in Texas.

So, I adapted the pattern for a soft knit fabric and re-made it, using sewing techniques shared in Alabama Stitch Book and Alabama Sewing + Design.  Making it by hand and without binding at the edges felt more natural, especially for life in the oppressive heat which is hurtling towards us.  In the end, I realized that what I have is an easy, light summer dress made from organic cotton.  This photo doesn't do the light blush color much justice, but I plan to spend many summer hours in this comfy dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment