October 18, 2011

Yesterday I was Houston, Today I'm Luanda

I'm not as easily flummoxed by major life decisions as I am by the ones I face in the course of normal daily life.  I fret about farm conditions involved in cheese production when I buy a block of cheddar, but not so much about a career change.  It's a quirk of my genetic makeup which has been put in stark relief by circumstances of my married life.

However, Houston vs. Luanda (See No-Plans Plan if you're confused) has me stumped.  Only one other decision, the question of whether or not to procreate, has provoked such utter indecision in my heart.  I spend a few days imagining life in Houston, which used to be impossible to picture but is growing on me.  Then, I wake up and overnight, I have shifted into an obsessive curiosity about the Luandan adventure, which lasts a day or two, before Houston hijacks my imagination once more.  I have no illusions of life in Luanda being easy or glamorous, but still, I can't completely shake it off.
In the course of trying to make an informed decision, in case we are lucky enough to have a choice, I have sought and received and counsel from a variety of people.  Some are friends who have traveled and worked in similar places, for work and study.  I have asked people who stay home, and people that move frequently like we do.

Here are some responses that stand out in my current teeter-totter thoughts:

My friend's co-worker, as quoted to me by my friend over Skype: " 'Houston?! [with a funny look on her face] I'd take Luanda!"

My former colleague and also former school counselor: "I would go for Angola as long as I didn't have to fear for my personal safety 50% of the time."

My friend who is also married to moving madness: "I can hardly imagine what my pre-child self would say to this. I think she would say that it depends on how long the assignment it, how much R&R you get, and how good the pay is. If the answers were short, a lot, and a boatload, I would say go for it."

One of my very close friends: "It [Luanda] could be life-changing."

An employee at my favorite neighborhood grocery store in Calgary: "...but then you have to hang out with expats, and they're kind of weird...".

Although to this I would add that hanging out with Texans could be equally troubling.

No comments:

Post a Comment